Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Adventures in Izamal -Day 1

On the flight from Chicago to Cancun, I passed over Isla Holbox, where I'll return in a few weeks.  It´s place so close to, but so different from Cancun.

 I wanted to snap a picture of the Island's distinctive bat wing shape, but these will have to do.

After a 5 hr bus ride from Cancun's bus terminal, I arrived to Izamal feeling tired and very hungry.  Was it no coincidence that I would place my dinner order at the restaurant, which I was told would be ready in exactly one hour, as I began reading Carlo Petrini´s Terra Madre, a book about the Slow Food movement?   Slow Food = Good Food, especially after a long day of travel.  I enjoyed a greek salad and chiles rellenos at Macanche´s restaurant, where I plan to take a cooking class or two later this week. 

Tomorrow, I'll begin my adventures in Izamal, the city of 3 cultures.  I'm looking to discover a bit about each culture, and how the story of plants connects each of them.
Hopefully, seven nights won't prove to be too long to spend in a town with exactly 4 attractions listed in the "Things to Do" section of Tripadvisor.   According to my research, there is far more to do in one of Mexico's famed Pueblo Magicos.   

No comments:

Post a Comment