Sunday, July 22, 2012

Delicious Times in Izamal: Cooking Classes at Macanche!

Elsy shows us how to prepare the filling
Today, I learned how to make one of my favorite Mexican dishes:  Chiles Relleños.  My first night at Macanche, I tried their delicious version for dinner and knew I just had to have the secret.  Best of all, this recipe can be made with ingredients right out of a heritage garden - peppers (poblano, green, yellow, and red), onions, herbs like epazote and cilantro, and garlic.

I took the lesson with a couple visiting from Holland and our head cook, Elsy, who had been cooking all of her life.  We began with an appetizer, Crema de Poblano, a delicious and rich soup made from half cream and roasted poblano peppers, as well as a few secret incredients which give it an international flair.

Now, onto the Chiles Relleños.  Alfred, Macanche´s owner, told us we were getting one of his best recipes, but also said the dish is like Jazz, many improvizations depending on the region and the chef.  While I´m looking forward to returning home and trying out my own varieties, I wouldn´t mind if this were the only recipe I ever had because   it´s just that delicious!


The process starts with blackening the peppers over a gas flame, to remove the outer skin.  The secret of these chiles is definitely the sauce, as well as perhaps the breading technique.


We were a little slow in the kitchen... our delicious meal was ready, complete with black beans and rice, in about 1.5 hours.  The time was worth it, as we sat down to enjoy a gourmet Mexican feast!
Delicious Creme of Poblano Soup

Time to Eat!









No comments:

Post a Comment